Inspired by one of my favourite spots in Los Angeles, Blu Jam, I treated a few friends to a homemade version of the popular cornflake crusted french toast. I'm not claiming it even came close, but it was a pretty successful homey breakfast with a twist. Boozy brunches is definitely my ultimate past time. This time, I paired the meal with a Pineapple-Malibu fruit punch.
This is an easy go-to recipe if you're hosting something casual this summer time. Alternate the recipe to your liking by mixing and exchanging toppings with berries, syrups, etc.
1 CUP WHOLE MILK
3 TBSP SUGAR
ICING SUGAR & BROWN SUGAR
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- Prep crushed cornflakes into a bowl and slice bread into desired portions
- In another bowl, combine and whisk eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon powder
- Generously drench bread in egg mixture then carefully coat with crushed cornflakes
- Heat up a nonstick pan and melt knobs of butter. Place bread onto pan until golden brown, attentively flipping sides as cornflakes may burn easily
- Finish off in the oven on a tray with baking paper. Cook through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with sprinkles of icing sugar and cinnamon powder
- Optional: Top with fried bananas. Add brown sugar and butter onto a hot pan before placing banana slices. An extra option would be to flambe bananas with a touch of brandy.